Static Version of rlwrap for sqlplus
Posted by Tyler Muth on August 31, 2011
If you don’t have root access to a machine, it can be challenging to compile rlwrap (a nice companion to sqlplus). You can compile it on another machine / VM, then use a utility called statifier to produce one binary that includes all of the required dependencies. If you want to just cut to the chase, you can download the version I compiled for OEL 5.6 x64 here.
How to Compile
If you don’t trust what I’ve compiled (and you probably shouldn’t if you care about security), here are the steps to compile your own version.
On a machine or VM that you control running a comparable Linux distribution:
- Download and compile rlwrap.
- Download and compile statifier.
- Compile your static version of rlwrap:
# statifier /usr/local/bin/rlwrap /tmp/rlwrap_static_x64
- Put it in some logical directory such as ~/local/bin
chmod +x ~/local/bin/*
- I create a symlink for it (but you could just rename it if you want):
ln -s ~/local/bin/rlwrap_static_x64 ~/local/bin/rlwrap
- Edit ~/.bashrc and add it to your path:
export PATH=$PATH:~/local/bin alias sqlplus='rlwrap sqlplus'